What is it?
Many instructors have uploaded their asynchronous videos to the YuJa video platform. When you go in to watch these videos, you have some flexibility to use the media player to fit your specific needs.
What does it do?
You can use the media player to:
- Adjust the playback speed
- Control the screen sizes and placement if there are multiple views
- Find and download transcripts
- Use the chapter to navigate the video (if the instructor has set these up)
What should I know?
Once you open the video and click play, the interface has several icons that can allow you to access additional information and adjust playback settings including view (if there is a video and screencast element), speed, and captions.
The bar at the bottom of the screen allows you to:
- Play/pause the video
- Adjust the volume
- Use the time to go forwards or back to a specific time for playback
- Turn on captions
- Go to full screen (or back from full screen)
- Open the side panel
- Open the settings
If your instructor has recorded their video so there is both a video recording of them speaking and a recording of their screen, you can use the Switch Stream icon to control how you view the video, and change the view at key points. Make sure you have clicked Play to access these settings – you can do this when the video is paused, but it must be opened initially, first.
Step 1: Hover over the video screen and click on the Switch Stream icon. This will swap the main view between your two options.
Step 2: Click on the button below the Switch Stream icon (the icon with the arrows at the top). This will open up and give you four options for viewing the video screens: Gallery View, Single Stream, Picture-in-Picture, and Presenter View. You can click on any of these options to determine how you want to view the video.
Step 3: Clicking the Switch Stream icon within any of the four views above will swap the main view. For example, if you are in Picture-in-Picture mode, this icon will switch which view is dominant. If you are in Single Stream view, this will switch entirely between the screens being shown.
You can use the cog wheel at the bottom-right hand side of the video to adjust the main settings of the video including:
- Speed – Use this setting to adjust playback speed from 0.5 x speed to 4x speed.
- Quality – You can downgrade the quality to accommodate your internet connectivity levels.
- Comment – You can use this feature to add comments to the video. You can use this to help with revision by adding notes you can revisit later, and use these to navigate to specific points in the video.
- Show thumbnails – This shows the thumbnails of the video. This can be useful to help you look at slide and navigate to targeted moments.
- External Player – This will open the player in full-screen mode.
- Go back 10s – Use this button to rewind 10 seconds
- Caption Setting – You can use this to open different languages for the captions; however, most captions will only be available in English
You can use the icon next to the cog wheel to open the side panel and navigate throughout the video.
If your instructor has set up Chapters, you can use this to find key points in the video in the first tab.
The second tab lets you navigate by slides. The third tab is to lets you see the captions and the slide that is on screen. You can click on any of these caption buttons to be brought to that point in the video.
The last three tabs relate to resources you or your instructor may have added: notes, comments, and resources.