A key tool in an institution’s e-learning kit is video – the ability to easily capture, edit, share and control video content is increasingly common in our lives and in the lives of our students, and so it should be in education. To that end, we have purchased Panopto in order to run a 1-year pilot.
What is Panopto?
Panopto, like similar services, is best understood as a complete video solution. It allows staff and students to capture video content on a range of devices, edit and upload that content to a YouTube-like platform where it can be shared with your tutor, your class or the internet at large. This platform can be used for everything from traditional lecture capture to reflective coursework through video-blogging and can be fully integrated into My Dundee. You can read more on the Panopto website. We’d also encourage you to look at similar platforms such as Echo 360 and Mediasite for comparison.
Why a 1-year pilot?
We feel that we need to do a better job choosing the services we purchase and deliver, and to this end we have opted for a 1-year pilot that will be followed by a procurement competition in 2018. The pilot year will be used to increase our institutional experience with this kind of tool so that we can make a more informed choice when it comes to making a greater commitment of resource next year. Be aware that this means that anything done on Panopto this year is open to change after next summer, though any content will be moved to any new platform if required.
How to get involved
Given that this is a pilot year, we will be rolling out the service in a controlled way. Some projects have already been identified, including the School of Humanities recording their lectures to support flexible teaching, but if you think you have a use for this service, then please read the following limitations and get in touch using the form below:
- Support will be limited to best efforts on CTIL’s part as it will take time for us to build up our knowledge of the service. You can however, access Panopto’s extensive support site.
- Panopto is an expansive service with many features. It will take time for us to learn how to implement them all.
- Use of video must conform to all relevant University policies governing digital content.
- Although we fully intend to continue to provide a video management service like Panopto beyond 2017/18, depending on the outcome of the procurement process it may not actually be Panopto that is chosen. Anyone who uses Panopto this year may be required to change platforms before the start of the 2018/19 academic year.
- As a user during the pilot year, you will be asked for feedback on what works, what doesn’t and what’s missing from the service. You will also be invited to join our Slack channel where you can ask for help and discuss the service with other users.
[formidable id=”9″ title=”1″]