What is ExamOnline (EOL)?
ExamOnline is a locally hosted online assessment platform specifically designed to support the use of tutor marked extended answer and essay style examinations. ExamOnline has been used to deliver high-stakes assessments at the University of Dundee since 2011.
Who is it for and what are the benefits?
- Can take invigilated class tests or high-stakes exams using UoD managed devices in IT Suites.
- Have access to a simple word processor style interface to compose exam answers, allowing them to properly format and re-organise their answer.
- If required, have the option to include a hand-drawn diagram/chart/equation to be assessed alongside the typed answers.
- Answers are automatically saved every thirty seconds during an exam.
- Can deliver invigilated tutor marked extended answer and essay style online class tests and examinations in a locked down environment.
- Avoid having to decipher student answers due to unclear handwriting in traditional exams.
- Will get easy access to online or on-paper marking shortly after the end of the exam.
- Multiple markers can carry out anonymised online marking (and moderating) by question.
- Can view and assess hand-drawn diagrams/charts/equations alongside a student’s typed answers.
- Can insert comments and overall feedback during marking that can be exported and shared with students (if required).
- Can track the progress of online marking.
Staff can visit our Overview of ExamOnline Assessment Process guide which outlines how to work with us to produce and deliver your class test or exam.
Where to get help
If you have any questions or technical problems in relation to the use of ExamOnline, you can contact the Assessment team.
You can find guides that are specific to University of Dundee staff and students right here on this site.
We are currently adding to our ExamOnline service guides. Please let us know if there is any information missing that you would like to see a guide for.
Check out the ExamOnline site for some introductory information on the The Results App (for staff) and The Candidates’ View (for students).