What is it?
The bulk of student enrolment onto modules are carried out through SITS however, there are a few options for adding users, including staff members, to Organisations and My Dundee modules.
What does it do?
By default, each organisation will have at least one Leader enrolled on to it. The leader role in an organisation is the equivalent of the instructor role in modules. Anyone who is already a Leader can enrol other Leaders.
- Add members of staff to an organisation
- Who to contact for automatic or one-time bulk enrolments
What Should I know?
Adding individual Leaders
Step 1: Open the Class Register in the left-hand menu.
Step 2: Add staff through the Class Register, clicking on the ‘+’ button at the top right of the screen.
Step 3: Use your colleague’s username to search for the required person (e.g. jzsmith. This can be found by looking at their email address, removing the dots and the ‘@dundee.ac.uk’ e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org becomes ‘jzsmith’).
Step 4: Click the plus sign next to their name. A drop-down menu will appear where you can choose what role they should have.
Step 5: Click “Save” when you’re done!
Do not enrol the _PreviewUser account. See details about these accounts and why you should not manually enrol them here.
- Search for users to add by their unique ID, i.e. their username.
- Users already enrolled in your organisation do not appear in the search results.
- Do not enrol the Preview User account
- Do not use the “Guest” role. This is a legacy role that cannot be removed, but does not work with Ultra modules or organisations.
Automatic Enrolment Rule
In most cases, our colleagues in UoD IT can create an enrolment rule to automatically add a group of UoD users to your organisation. This could be based on School, discipline, enrolments on SITS modules etc.
- When asking for a new organisation, there is a question in the Organisation Request Form that requires you to detail which student (or staff) groups should be added. Please provide as much detail as you can, and our colleagues in UoD IT will let us know if they require any further information to set-up the enrolment rule.
- If you would like to set-up or amend an enrolment rule on an existing organisation, please send an e-mail to Help4U with the title ‘FAO Business Services (Learning) – My Dundee Organisation Enrolment Rule’, stating the organisation name and code (e.g. “eLearning Resources for Staff” CTIL_ORG003), along with details of the particular group of UoD users you would like included in/removed from the enrolment rule.
If your organisation is for an event, or something that only requires a one-off enrolment of users, please send an e-mail to Help4U with the title ‘FAO CTIL – Bulk organisation enrolment’ stating the organisation name and code (e.g. “eLearning Resources for Staff” CTIL_ORG003), along with a list of User ID’s (usernames) to be added. You should also indicate if you want users added as Participants or Leaders. Participants are the equivalent of students in an organisation.
If you only need to add a few users to an organisation, then the quickest and easiest way is for a Leader on the organisation to enrol them manually. Please see our guide Enrol Colleagues on to your Course which can be followed to add staff or students to an organisation.